Friday, November 6, 2009

Full of the Holy Spirit and faith

It's not often that the word of God "arrests" me. I love to read the scriptures, to study them, to meditate on them and to pray over them. I love to speak them to my friends. But it's been a while since one of them spoke to me. Specifically to me. I was recently reading Acts chapter 11 looking for the reference to a school in Antioch a bible teacher had mentioned the night before. As I was reading along I came to the story of a man named Barnabas who was a companion of Paul's. Suddenly verse 24 reached out, grabbed my collar and shouted at me,
"Barnabas was a good man, full of the Holy Spirit and faith. And many people were brought to the Lord."

Suddenly I realized that I was full of fear, doubt, and negativity. Even though I am full of the Holy Spirit, I am somehow not. What was wrong?
To my horror I began to realize that if I didn't begin to risk the service for the Lord that he, at that point in time, was challenging me too I would remain pathetically lost in the mire of apprehension and inaction. Sinking deeper and deeper into self protection and irrelevance. How would my faith grow if I refused to exercise it? How was I ever going to learn to trust the Lord if I never risked anything? My arguments no longer held water. Sure I was incompetent, but I was also full of the Holy Spirit. Sure I am scared and worried about so many things but I am also full of the Holy Spirit. Certainly I am not able to do anything of value for the Kingdom of God but I am full of the Holy Spirit. And the last time I checked He was not in need of anything. So I may not be able but he is. I may not be confident but He is. I may not be perfect but He is. I was greatly awakened by that little verse and greatly encouraged. Perhaps now that I have decided to step forward as Barnabas did so many years ago my results will be the same, that many people will be brought to the Lord.

2 comments:

Jessica A. Kent said...

Beautiful, Teri.

elizabeth said...

oh happy day. i love my friend! i love the Savior whom we both worship!