Thursday, October 2, 2008

The Year of Living Biblically

I just finished reading The Year of Living Biblically by A.J. Jacobs. It was such a quick read that I hadn't time to add it to my blog list of “books I'm reading right now”. I began reading on Sunday afternoon and finished it Tuesday night reading nothing during the day. Delightful, informative, funny (laugh out loud funny in several parts), and well written, Jacobs embarks on a daunting experiment, mainly with the intent of writing the book, to live the bible literally. He grows a gigantic beard, wears interesting clothes, and eats a bug. He dances with Hasidic Jews in New York, tours the not yet complete Creation Museum in Kentucky and takes a pilgrimage to Israel. He learns what a compulsive liar he is, that resting isn't such a bad idea after all and that it really is possible to out talk a Jehovah's Witness (a feat he is rather proud of). I learned I still have an envy problem (wish I could write like this and had time to read this much!), that I am still sometimes confused about what parts of the first testament are fulfilled in Christ and which parts are to be practiced diligently, and that I am very very grateful for the love between God and myself which keeps me anchored against the storms of diverse doctrines, error and heresy. Not that I have God and the bible nailed down to simple formulas but I know that loving him and being loved by him is the bottom line whether or not I get sidetracked by contrasting beliefs within the Christian religion. Like when Jacobs visits a small bible study of homosexual evangelicals who call themselves Concerned Evangelicals. To me the term homosexual positively pared with evangelical is an oxymoron. I have always understood homosexuality to be a deviance from normal and natural. All religions across the globe, at least the major ones, have denounced homosexuality as sin. So to hear this rather learned bible study leader explaining away the most obvious verses against homosexuality makes me somewhat confused and rather saddened. Just read the prophets. Isn't that like what the Israelites where doing that forced our loving, patient and merciful God to bring judgment against them? Lying about who God is and forgetting his commandments. Couple this with the two “scholars” mentioned in the book who believe that historically no one took the biblical account of events literally and you've got quite a slippery slope to navigate. We would discount the entire bible as an analogy and have no foundation for truth of any kind. Apparently this is a relief to many moral relativist. I return to my Anchor and sigh my love for Him.

I am somewhat inspired by the journey the author takes and the format he uses to document it. He journals his days (not all 365) and begins each entry with a random scripture verse that he relates to for that day. I thought I might try the same method for myself here on my blog. Taking a verse that speaks something to me and write about how it has impacted me for that day or that week as the case may be. Just journal my life in terms of the bible reading I'm doing and how I'm wrestling with it. This is what Jacobs does for an entire year with the added purpose of living it all literally, with the sometime exception of overly obvious hyperbole which believe it or not some have applied jot and tittle.

Jacobs tells a very interesting story in The Year of Living Biblically. His journey begins a work of subtle transformation in his heart and mind that I believe will be with him the rest of his life, compelling him to further spiritual growth. I think he manages to enjoy the process and the outcome. I know the things I learned and the questions I was forced to ask myself will continue working in me especially as I take my own challenge to journal my bible readings on the world wide web. One thing remains unchanged, Jesus did the biblical living for me on the points where the law was unable to save me and he lives that biblical life through me today by my yielding to his Holy Spirit.

But now God has shown us a way to be made right with him without keeping the requirements of the law, as was promised in the writings of Moses and the prophets long ago. We are made right with God by placing our faith in Jesus Christ. And this is true for everyone who believes, no matter who we are." Romans 3:21-22

"But you are not controlled by your sinful nature. You are controlled by the Spirit if you have the Spirit of God living in you. (And remember that those who do not have the Spirit of Christ living in them do not belong to him at all.)" Romans 8:9

1 comment:

Jessica A. Kent said...

I'm so proud of you - A BOOK REVIEW! And a very good one at that. Your addition of your own walk in light of First Covenant/Second Covenant fulfillment is really good. I'm facing some of my own right now - like, I know the Feasts of the Lord are forever, but do we just not offer the sacrifices those days anymore because of the cross, or do we not celebrate them at all? But God said "Perpetually throughout all your generations." But does me grafted in constitute a "generation?" But they're the Feasts of the Lord! (Sounds like a blog about the paganism of Christmas...if Christ was born, as they think He was, in September during Rosh HaShanah. And what about Easter coming before Passover? Duh...don't get me started. I'll turn into Rob.)